Thursday, August 25, 2011

First full week. :)

Geez this week has gone by way too fast! It feels like yesterday i was at the bemidji airport getting on a plane to come here. But anyways its been a great first week! :)
My first day of school was Friday.School is going good, everyone here is so laid back so like the kids get two weeks to turn in an assignment. And the work is all real easy, its kinda like the stuff i learned last year. So school is no problem. One of my worries before i came here was that i wouldnt have any friends and i was crazy to be worried about that. Ive made some friends already. :) Everyone here is so nice! And not cliqued up at school, which i love. Everybody talks to everybody is so cool. Ah and about my classes i decided to take a drama class, PAS (like a detailed gym class) and cooking. Drama was today and were filming this play in a small group on a fairytale. We chose Goldy Locks and the Three Bears. Guess who got stuck with the Goldy Locks part... me. Haha. Which was the biggest part of our play and Ive so never acted before. That was way out of my comfort zone but it ended up being sorta fun and turned out good! :) I can definately already tell my shyness is going away which is a great thing. Also at school we have to pick a sport that we do every Wednesdays. I picked lawnbowls... I dont know why i picked that! It is thee most boring sport ive ever played! Haha. All we do is roll weighted balls to try and get close to a white ball... But yeah Ill only have a few more Wednesdays of that before holida break (2 weeks off) and then after that we pick new ones. Ive noticed the respect for teachers here is very poor. And Australians kind of swear alot, even at school and the teachers dont even care. Its so different! And like I only have four different classes a day and each day those classes change. Which is really nice and makes school not as boring. Plus we get alot of breaks! We get a recess after our first period and thats kind of like snack time. Then we have a period. A five minute break. A period. Lunch time, which is super long! Like an hour i think. And then we have the last period. School gets done at 3:45 and we start at 9. So yeah anyways school is great i love it! And the uniforms arent too bad either. It saves alot of time with the uniforms so i dont stand in my closet for half an hour trying to pick an outfit. :P All is good in the school department!
My host family is alot of fun. Im always laughing with them. And the Australian humor is like way deeper than Americans. Like Aussies joke around alot more and kind of like have more fun. :) I like it alot! Its just a blast. And they use alot of sarcasm too. Were always picking on eachother and lauging at eachother. :) Haha. Every day after school i come home, change clothes, and then go for a run. Usually about 2 mile runs. Its pretty much the only exercise i get all day so the runs are nice. The temperature around here is like in the 60s or 70s. Only 7 more days of winter here im pretty sure! Then its going to get warmer and warmer by the day.
The food here is basically the same, but not really. My favorite thing is tim tams! Theyre like a chocolate cookie with frosting in the middle and chocolate coating on the outside. Sooo good! Whenever I eat one i think to myself, "thats another quarter mile" Haha. Just making sure i dont get fat! But yeah those are good, but whats gross is vegemite. Yuck i cant even describe the flavor, my host dad put it on bread and butter for me and had me try it. I did take two big bites.. but no i wont again, it was nasty. Also yesterday Vikki came into my room with a piece of bread and something brown spread on it. I thought it was peanut butter and she told me she wasnt going to tell me what it was before i tried it. It was like fish guts! I ran immediately to the bin and spit it out. That had to of been the grossest thing ive ever tasted! I did try it though.

Some of the differences here are, well they drive on the opposite side of the road, you get your liscense at 17, we eat most of our meals in the lounge area while watching tv.. most families do it here. And there is orange, lemon, and lime trees here! I was amazed when i saw an orange tree. The light switches are smaller. The plug ins are different. They call ketchup tomato sauce, the toilets look different and also flush down the opposite way. Their money is worth alot more than our american money. I put in 500 american dollars and it was worth 447 austalian dollars. Their money is plastic and colorful with big coins. Oh and at school they dont give us like hot meals, theres a canteen where you can buy lunch and recess, or kids just pack a lunch. The pickups here look way different. And I know there was way more but just cant remember. Oh yeah their slang too is pretty sweet. Pretty soon ill be picking up on it! Haha. Sweet!
Well all is well, i really really like it here, everything is great! :) Just thought i would update you all.
Ill write in a week or so. :)
Love you!
xxx

1 comment: